FOR MORE THAN FIFTEEN YEARS, WE HAVE BEEN PROVIDING SOPHISTICATED LEGAL ADVICE ON ALL ASPECTS OF ENERGY LAW TO A DIVERSE ARRAY OF CLIENTS INVOLVED IN THE CHALLENGING WORLD OF EXPLOITATION, PRODUCTION, TRANSPORTATION, MARKETING AND DISTRIBUTION.
Our strong and solid experience includes all segments of the energy industry and extends to the full range of activities from licensing and execution of agreements to potential dispute resolution; reform of and institutional support to the energy sector; energy legislation; negotiations with energy companies.
Our deep knowledge of the European legislation on the liberalisation of the energy markets and our constant monitoring of any new legislative amendments in the EU is based on our constant update on the legal developments in the European and international energy industry.
In particular, our experience in the energy sector encompasses all aspects of project development, finance and acquisition – often in a multi-jurisdictional environment - as well as institutional and capacity building. We have also played a significant role in the elaboration and introduction of the regulatory framework on energy and transportation within the former Soviet Union and Southeastern Europe.
- legal advice relating to researching, producing, transporting and distributing energy (including renewable energy sources)
- legal support relating to the funding and implementation of energy programs
- legal support during the process of acquiring an energy production license
- legal support during the drafting and implementation of energy contracts
- legal support during litigation conducted in courts and courts of arbitration.
Our experience in this sector includes:
- Drafting, mediating and negotiating of an interstate agreement for establishment of oil and gas transportation systems, signed by 21 countries from NIS and EU (INOGATE Umbrella Agreement)
- Legal advisor in relation to the financing of a petroleum sector project worth US $ 700 million
- Legal support to a group of companies during its efforts to acquire a license to construct and operate an independent energy production plant in view of the upcoming deregulation of the Greek energy market
- Assistance in obtaining of licensing and permits for developing of various RES projects (wind, solar, other)
- Drafting of the legislative and institutional framework for certain aspects of the domestic oil and gas industry on behalf of various regulatory authorities and the establishment of effective compliance monitoring systems tailored to the client’s needs
- Representing a strategic investor in a major petroleum sector privatisation.
- Advising the Greek Energy Regulation Authority on the drafting of a Petroleum Products Regulation
- Legal expertise to governmental authorities on the liberalisation of their oil and gas sectors and on the harmonisation of domestic legislation with EU law
- Representing a large company during arbitration over a dispute arising from the application of an energy supply contract
- Legal advisor to investors on entering into the Greek, Romanian, Bulgarian, and other neighbouring energy markets
- Negotiation and drafting of joint venture arrangements on behalf of private clients and state utilities that are active in the electricity sector
- Provision of expert legal guidance to project owners and operators on complex competition and energy regulatory requirements and authorisations as well as on environmental compliance matters, and the negotiation of, and successful application for, environmental licences and government permits and concessions
- Elaboration and drafting of permits and licenses for energy activities, in particular for gas and electricity sectors, for the Energy Regulatory Office in Kosovo
- Setting-up of legal structures appropriate for the financing of large scale energy projects (project finance, mix of corporate and loan financing as well as institutional financing)
- Conformity assessments/studies between national laws/regulations and EU acquis in energy sector
- Review of legal and institutional framework in all EU 27 MS regarding the oil stocks reporting system and preparation of recommendations for introduction of weekly oil reporting
- Drafting of national laws to implement /comply with EU Directives
- Preparation of recommendations to relevant authorities for implementation of EU acquis
- Legal assistance to national governments in satisfying their obligations set up by EU regulations (implementing measures)
- Legal assistance concerning the pre-investment period of development of numerous energy projects in Greece, production licenses, connection conditions permit with the national Grid, environmental permit, assist with drafting of the relevant contracts with Hellenic TSO and Public Power Corporation as DSO
- Legal support required for development of wind farms projects and Photovoltaic Projects in EU (Greece, Romania, Bulgaria)
- Review of the legal status of the Caspian Sea and Black Sea for a gas transportation from Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan to Europe and identification of all legal barriers and the potential solution