Adjustment to Regulation 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to data processing, and day to day implementation thereof
On May 25, 2018 Regulation 2016/679/EU for the protection of natural persons from data processing enters into force and replaces Directive 95/46/EC, as well as L. 2472/1997. The New Regulation preserves the basic principles of data protection (i.e. consent, proportionality etc), however it totally restructures the procedural requirements for lawful data processing. Additionally it enhances the old Rights of the Data Subjects and also introduces new Rights. Last, it provides for high penalties in case of violation of the Regulation.
Our Law Firm has expertise and experience in matters of Greek and European Union data protection law. For this reason we are in the position to offer specialised and responsible legal consulting services, cut out to practical necessities, to Data Controllers and Data Processors with regard to the adjustment to the New Regulation, as well as the implementation of data protection law in general. Indicatively, some of the innovations brought about by the New Regulation, with which Data Controllers and Data Processors have to comply, are the following:
- Assignment of a Data Protection Officer (DPO)
- Preparation of a Data Protection Impact Assessment Study (DPIA)
- Distinction of the Obligations and Duties of Data Controller and Data Processor
- Enforcement of the New Regulation to Data Controllers or Data Processors not seated in the EU
- Adjustment to the new Data Protection Rights, including the Right to withdraw a consent at any time, as well as the Right to erasure/”Right to be forgotten”
- Preparation of a Code of Conduct and Certification of the data protection level, both of which the New Regulation encourages
Our Law Firm has the organisational background, the experience and the knowledge, to support its clients with regard to the adjustment to the New Regulation, but also with regard to day to day compliance and problem solving.