The new law for the protection of personal data
These last decades the processing of our personal data has become a central issue in political, social, economic as well as personal life. The introduction of the GDPR in May 2018 inaugurated a new era in the regulation of the processing of personal data, including the data of special categories (race, health, sexual preferences, political opinions etc.). In Greece, this phase is brought to completion with the publication of Law 4624/2019, which replaces Law 2472/1997 and contains the basic provisions concerning the protection of the individuals from the processing of their personal data alongside, of course, of the GDPR.
- The new law introduces some significant innovations concerning, among others, crucial issues such as:
- The nature and content of the various rights of the subject of personal data, i.e. the right to information, the right to access and the right to be forgotten.
- The competence of the State or other public authorities to process personal data.
- The conditions applicable to a child's consent in relation to information society services (15th year as age limit for the child’s consent).
- The conditions of processing of personal data of special categories.
- The prohibition of processing of genetic data for reasons of life insurance or health.
- The conditions of processing of personal data for reasons others than those for which they have been initially collected.
- The conditions of processing of personal data in the context of employment relations.
- The conditions of processing of personal data for statistical reasons.
- The criminal sanctions entailed by the effectuation of determinate acts of processing of personal data.
KLC has extensive knowledge and experience on issues of Greek and European legislation on data protection. We provide legal advice to private sector investors in relation to both the conclusion of contracts and dealing with the relevant regulatory framework. We also act for clients before Greek courts and the Hellenic Data Protection Authority.